Hello 2020


We totally skipped through 2019.

I didn't even realise that my last post was in August 2018. A lot has happened since then.
  • Gotten to know more people, be it executives, seniors or juniors.
  • Socialised with colleagues in various kinds of firm's events.
  • Given responsibility to lead more challenging engagements.
  • Got promoted twice since my last blog update.
My manager once said this to me:

"Work takes up more than half of my day. If my work life is bad, then my whole day is also bad"

I have been working for almost 2 years, yet I still do not have a solid daily routine. My daily life has been all about work. There was a time whereby I worked 7 days a week, more than 12 hours a day. I guess it's time to change this unhealthy lifestyle of mine to something better! 

For 2020, I wish to be more disciplined in everything I do. So, here is how I will make it happen:

1. Start the day right
Have an early night and aim to wake up a little earlier so I can arrive to work on time and begin my day with a new mindset.

2. Eat breakfast
Knowing myself, I sometimes will skip lunch if I have too many tasks on hand or I skip just to have some "me" time at work. Whatever it is, I should at least eat breakfast to start off my day right.

3. Less caffeine/sugary drinks intake and more fruits juice
Having caffeinated or sugary drinks for once in awhile won't hurt.

4. Drink more plain water
Should at least drink 8 glasses of water, no matter what!

5. Prepare own lunch/light snack whenever it is possible
It is not entirely impossible but sometimes there's time constraint in the morning. Having light snack on-the-go is definitely good to keep myself energised through rough times at work.

6. Only work in office
Work should only stay in office. No working at home unless it's urgent. No checking emails after work. People should understand that the paid hours are from 8.30am to 5.30pm. Beyond that, we are not obliged to respond to you. However, in this line of work, it is normal to work long hours but the long hours should only be in office. Never bring work to your happy space - home.

7. Get organised
Tidy up work space, clear unread emails, organise files in laptop etc. Someone once said, "the state of your surrounding represents the state of your mind". Opps!

8. Reward myself
I never really reward myself for anything that I did. Except this one time. I remember being so stressed with work that I even cried in front my manager. End of the week, when everything is settled, I treated myself with bubble tea and that made me feel a lot better. Doesn't have to be fancy.

9. Get your body moving
Exercising is known to be a good stress reliever but I would rather have extra 30 mins of sleep than getting all sweaty in the morning. Something that I should change this year.

10. Better mental health state
It is so important to keep our mental health in check. Workplace can be very toxic. Nevertheless, I will just do my best in the position that I am now. Don't take things too personal. Work is work. Colleagues are just colleagues. Know the boundaries.

There you go! 10 habits that I would like to incorporate in 2020. I actually have started to incorporate habit #1 to #7 in my daily life for the past 2 weeks. It ain't hard to do. Just need to have a strong willpower.

P/S: Korea trip post coming up soon!

Comments